Digital Aglish 2017


Digital Aglish 2017 – Digital Artefact

This is the Digital Artefact that compliments my Thesis for Masters in Digital Arts and Humanities.  The project incorporated the efforts of the local School Children of Aglish National School and the results of us delving into the local culture and heritage of Aglish:

Map of Aglish and surrounding areas

This thesis was about combining education with a digital element and producing an all-encompassing learning environment.  The exercise involved creating a map of the local area and community and discovering what heritage and cultural sites surrounded our locality. There is a digitizing of information and cataloguing of sites that helps to represent the cultural sites in their best light.

Although it is a site-specific piece of work, the idea can be reproduced in any village or community the school children of Aglish National School researched and studied various cultural and heritage sites around their locality and the results are made into a digital artefact for their school website.

It became a cross generational exercise with extended families getting involved and sharing their stories, thereby creating a richer and fuller artefact of history. -It became a community project all ages getting involved and sharing their stories about the old days.

The digital aspect of this exercise gave the school children experience in putting together a display and cataloguing their research and using digital applications to research their area.  It became an exercise that developed the school children’s skills and knowledge, and with peer learning the school children were leading the exercise and producing interesting historic catalogues.

Digitising an aspect of education was the goal and it was reached quite diligently with the school children’s dedication and interest, they created a historic and cultural project based on their community and invigorated a village in the process


Old Map of the area

Map link:


Aglish, Co. Waterford

Aglish main road through the village.

As you enter the village you pass the Post Office and turn right down towards the Church and School, or straight through brings you to the main street of the village with the Pub and old buildings and Graveyard on the bend.



Parish of Aglish



Aglish Church

Aglish Church built in 1855.



Old School House

This is the original SchoolHouse of Aglish built in 1837.  Many of the childrens’ grandparents and past relatives would have attended this school.

A map of the Old School House

The Old School Building in Aglish.

This is the original porch entrance – boys and girls had separate entrances each side.



The children singing “Maidrin Rua”.  We came across the song when researching the old school and graveyard.




How the Old School looked in past years.




The location of New School Building

The new School Building relocated beside the Church in 1970, it was a prefabricated building then.  In 1986 this building was erected with the new extension added in 2013

Aglish School now has over 100 pupils and has progressed dramatically over the last ten years and moved with technology.

Some of the diligent helpers in research mode, researching old memorabilia and maps.



The Original School Stone

This is the original school stone that was brought from the site of the Old School and there is a story that the name Aglish had to be re engraved on to it because when the army were passing through Aglish, the village did not want them to know where they were so they scrubbed the name Aglish off the stone.


The army camp in Aglish in 1910.



Aglish Grave Yard

The Aglish Graveyard dates back to the 1700s.  Many school children would have ancestors and relatives buried here.  It is situated in the mainstreet beside the community hall.



The children singing “O Ro”



Aglish main street back in the 1920s, the view looking down the street.

This is the same view of the street, but 100 years later.  The same house can be seen on the left of the picture, this house dates back to 1730s and was a shop and pub. Most of the buidings are all original.


This view is looking the oppposite way looking up the street and was an earlier photo taken in appoximately 1910.

The school children recreated the photograph (again over 100 years later), the same buildings are standing today.  A pony and cart is replaced with a car.



Kiltera Ogham Stones

These Ogham Stones are well documented so there was a lot of information found when we reasearch about them.  The children were very surprised to learn they date back to 500 – 700 A.D.


Map Location of Ogham Stones






The River Blackwater

The Blackwater River flows through counties Kerry, Cork and Waterford.  From Mallow, Fermoy, Lismore, Cappoquin and into Youghal were it joins the sea.

These are two clips of the RTE programme -Abhainn- which featured the Blackwater from source, to the sea at Youghal.


The school children can be seen looking out over the Blackwater that runs all around the West side of Aglish.  Aglish itself has the river Geosh running through it which runs into the Blackwater

In the distance the bridge can be seen over the river Bride which is a tributury of the Blackwater.




The Old Mill

The Old mill at Cooneen Quay could date back as far as 15th or 16th century, they were mining works and mills and kilns, the first factories, and usually situated on rivers for ease of transport.

The Old Mill is very overgrown and delapidated today.  The outhouse on the left of the picture is still standing but the mill itself is derelict and covered in vegatation.

This Mill is on the waters edge and there would have been a quay on to the water but this is gone now.



Strancally Castle on the Blackwater

The Castle building that stands today was built in 1830s by George Richard Paine for John Kelly who was an MP for Clonmel and the High Sheriff of County Waterford for 1819-20.  It stands in front of the ruin of the original Desmond Castle.

This is the folly of the castle today.  The main castle has been refubished recently and is hiddden in behind the dense hedging and trees along the river bank.


How the Desmond’s dealt with their enemies.



Dromana Gate Lodge

This gate lodge and bridge was built to celebrate a wedding in the Villiers-Stewart family, and in 1849 a permanent structure was erected.  It was the original entrance into the Viliers-Stewart estate in Dromana.  It fell into disrepair in the 2oth century and restored by the Georgian Society in the 1960s and again by Waterford County Council in 1990.  It is no longer part of the estate



The future history project….

This will be an on-going process, there is constantly more information and stories popping up and people asking me to include certain pieces of heritage and places of cultural significance.  The original project was to make a map of Aglish and include places the local school children had a connection to.  As the project progressed it became bigger than a map and more of a heritage and cultural exercise with all generations getting involved and reigniting the stories and history of Aglish.

I believe that we have enough information to make a whole website dedicated to the village of Aglish, a website that could be added to over time.  There were certain time constraints when starting this project because the children broke up for their summer holidays and when school reopened in September people had sent a lot more information about Aglish

This project has truly become a community effort and has grown and developed in an exciting manner.  I think this exercise will continue to develop and this will only enhance the learning of all the school children.  We could develop and extend the learning and the hope is to delve further into cataloguing and interactive applications that would show Aglish in all its beauty.



Our Aglish !

The Blackwater in the distance going out to sea at Youghal




Our Open Street Map :